Monday, July 18, 2011

Days 7-9 of 30 day book challenge

I wasn't keeping up with my challenge over the weekend. I was out of town, so here are all three days in one post.
 
Day 7: The worst book you’ve read in the last year.

I think I'm going to have to go with The History of Tom Jones by Henry Fielding. I was so bored with this book. First of all, it is separated into 18 separate books within the one book (yes, 18). I'm a little lazy, so I got this description off of Wikipedia.
Tom Jones is a foundling discovered on the property of a very kind, wealthy landowner, Squire Allworthy, in Somerset in England's West Country. Tom grows into a vigorous and lusty, yet honest and kind-hearted, youth. He develops affection for his neighbour's daughter, Sophia Western. On one hand, their love reflects the romantic comedy genre that was popular in 18th-century Britain. However, Tom's status as a bastard causes Sophia's father and Allworthy to oppose their love; this criticism of class friction in society acted as a biting social commentary.
It wasn't that funny, interesting, and Tom was way too good for an actual person. It is so long my professor actually let us skip parts of the novel that weren't relevant to the overall plot! Never again...
 
Day 8: Your favorite quotes from books (in no particular order and there are many more than just this small list).
  • “It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” –Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” –Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  • “Why spiders? Why couldn’t it be ‘follow the butterflies?’” –Ron Weasley, Harry Potter and the Chamber of the Secrets
  • "From the very beginning— from the first moment, I may almost say— of my acquaintance with you, your manners, impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain of the feelings of others, were such as to form the groundwork of disapprobation on which succeeding events have built so immovable a dislike; and I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry." –Elizabeth Bennet, Pride and Prejudice 
  • Provided that nothing like useful knowledge could be gained from them, provided they were all story and no reflection, she had never any objection to books at all. –Catherine Morland, Northanger Abbey
  • ABRAHAM: "Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?" SAMPSON: "I do bite my thumb, sir." ABRAHAM: "Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?" SAMPSON: [Aside to GREGORY] "Is the law of our side, if I say ay?" GREGORY: "No." SAMPSON: "No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir."  –Romeo and Juliet, Act I 
Day 9: Your favorite quotes about books.
  • "A room without books is like a body without a soul." –Cicero
  • "'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read." –Mark Twain
  • "Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book."
  • Good as it is to inherit a library, it is better to collect one. –Augustine Birrell, Obiter Dicta, "Book Buying"
  • Never judge a book by its movie. –J.W. Eagan
  • Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. –Richard Steele, Tatler, 1710

No comments:

Post a Comment