Monday, December 20, 2010

Life is just full of twists and turns

The past few weeks have been hectic to say the least. It has been difficult to find the time to do anything that I actually wanted to do, and today is the day I officially can. I am done with my first semester of my junior year, but it hasn't come as quickly or without stress and heartache.

Almost two weeks ago, my grandfather passed away. I found out just two days before that he was in the hospital and was going to have surgery for intestinal blockage. The surgery did not go as well as planned. The surgeons had no idea how blocked his intestines were until they were actually operating. He went into the ICU immediately after surgery and just never woke up after he developed an infection. I had been receiving updates from my mother, and I knew when that phone call came, that I would never get to talk to my grandfather again. It was the first loss I have ever had in my family with someone that I was close to.

If I hadn't had my family and friends around me, I don't know how I would have taken it. But because I have such an amazing support group in my volleyball team, I was able to make it through the funeral knowing that my grandfather is in a great place. I know my family took the loss hard, and of course, we will continue to feel his presence in our lives. There is nothing I can do now but pray that my family makes it through this holiday season with my grandpa in our hearts...I loved him very much, and I will miss him more than he will ever know. But, I do know this: as tough as it is to admit, life goes on. He wouldn't want us to mourn him forever, but to live our lives and to remember him through fond memories.

Through my tears, I smile because somewhere up there, he is having the time of his life playing a round of golf, riding his Harley, and enjoying some fishing. Thanks, grandpa, for being a fantastic man and a hell of a guy. Thank you for loving me and your family. We miss you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment