Thursday, December 2, 2010

Alternative Spring Break - Guatemala

Hey all!

So, I'm not entirely sure as to who will be reading this post, but I figured I would give it a go anyway. I am going on another Alternative Spring Break trip next semester. I went on the very first one Central hosted two years ago to Moab, Utah and had a fantastic time. So, I decided to apply to go to Guatemala, and I was accepted into the program.

Alternative Spring Break has been a program at Central for three years now, and is growing each year. This year, a trip was added to San Jorge La Laguna, Guatemala and will be held March14-21, 2011. I will be volunteering with eleven other Central College students in a school. This school has begun an environmental/sustainability program and is working to teach the children the importance of things such as recycling, reusing, and reducing as well as global environmental issues. The school receives no funding from the government, so they are doing what they can with what little they have. We will help support this program by helping to build an ecological classroom out of recycled materials as well as other activities to support the school.

We are looking for donations to help us make this trip a success. If you or anyone you know would be willing to make a donation, have them get in contact with me via this blog in the comments or my email: griegerc1@central[dot]edu (just remove the word 'dot' and put an actual one there. I don't want to be spammed by some computer!).

Also, if a Central student happens to be reading this, we are selling the "Go Dutch" t-shirts still! They are just $10 and all the profits go to help us in Guatemala!

Thanks!
Chelsea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment