Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Well, I'm not really sure where to begin with this one. I wasn't excited to see this movie, but my mom wanted to see it, so I relented and tagged along. I am not a Nicolas Cage fan at all; the only movies I ever liked him in where the National Treasure movies. And, I have only seen one movie with Jay Baruchel. So, hesitant was what I was feeling, especially since I didn't think the previews looked like anything special.

Basically, Cage's character, Balthazar, has been running around the Earth since the time of Merlin. He was, in fact, Merlin's apprentice. There is an evil sorceress named Morgana that is trying to raise an army of dead sorcerers to conquer the human race. Merlin is killed by Morgana before Balthazar can capture/kill her, but he tells Balthazar that there is only one sorcerer that can defeat her--the prime merlinian (unsure on how to spell that). Balthazar searches for centuries, but finally happens upon a boy in modern day NYC that is the one that can defeat her, David (Baruchel). Balthazar ends up trapped in an urn for ten years with another enemy, Horvath (Alfed Molina). David grows up in those ten years and is a physics nerd at NYU. From there, he must help Balthazar defeat Horvath and Morgana before they destroy humankind.

Well, I have to say, it was better than I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong, I still didn't really enjoy Cage's performance, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. It was pretty cheesy, as was the storyline. It felt too...coincidental. I don't know if that is the term I'm really looking for, but everything seemed to just happen. It wasn't a horrible movie, and definitely kid-friendly. The acting and storyline mix just didn't do it for me. Although, there were a few funny parts thrown in that were really unexpected, but a nice add-in.

Recommendation: If you have a child, then they would probably like the movie. It was action packed and funny. I wouldn't see it again or buy the movie, but it was some feel-good, family fun. If you are an adult, go see Inception instead. My dad and brother went and said it was really good, and the reviews were as well. I'm going to see Inception next. Sorcerer's Apprentice was so-so. If you can, wait until it comes out on Redbox. Much better way to spend your money.

Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment