Saturday, March 13, 2010

I'm Defying Gravity!

I absolutely had to update my blog because I had such an amazing day yesterday! A group of us got up early and headed to the box office for Wicked. For this show, they sell front row seats for 25 pounds the day of the show. We headed out at about eight in the morning, and the box office opened at ten. It was a little chilly, but so worth being third in line. We got our amazing front row seats for the 7:30 performance.

For lunch, we all went to an Indian restaurant for our experience seminar class. In my opinion, Indian food smells disgusting, and I am not into spicy foods. So, I was a little apprehensive when we got to the restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised. I stayed away from the things that were spicy, and I really liked the food. The lamb curry was delicious! I tried the chicken curry, but it was a little too sweet but still tasty. It is safe to say that Indian food will not become a staple in my diet, but I enjoyed it.

The restaurant was down on Brick Lane which is on the East End of London. It is a huge immigrant area. We were there at a time that all of the Muslims were headed to afternoon prayer which was kind of neat to see. The mosque in the area was a church, then changed to a synagogue, and it is now a mosque. It really shows the changes to the East End. This area is London's contemporary art center...so, needless to say, I didn't go into any of the art galleries!

And, of course, later that night we went to Wicked! It is so hard to describe the experience...I had never been that close to any musical before, and both times I had seen Wicked, I was from a decently far distance. We were so close that we sat under the dragon that adorned the top of the stage! I was glad that it wasn't my first time seeing it though because it was difficult to focus on everything when you are so close. But, being able to see their emotions...it was incredible! It was a little funny that their microphones were on their forehead which many people may not have noticed from farther away. It was a little different with English accents, and some of the phrases were a little different. At one point, Glinda says that they all went to "Uni" together which is the way that people say that they went to university. In the States, Glinda says that they all went to school together. There were not many instances like that, but it was great to be able to spot the differences.

I had such an amazing time. I smiled the entire way through...I think when the Elphaba was singing Defying Gravity I had this massive grin plastered on my face because she was just that fantastic! It was definitely worth the 25 pounds!

All of the girls before the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment