Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Getting lost in the Louvre? Priceless.

Bonjour! I successfully made it to Paris and back to London in one piece! What an exciting and hectic trip...with only a few days to see so much, Michelle and I were wiped out. This is going to be the abbreviated version, because if I mentioned what I thought of everything, this blog would take you an hour to read...and even longer for me to type. Starting from the beginning...

Michelle and I arrived at the train station around eight at night. Liz met us there to take us to the Eiffel Tower so we could see it at night. We made a quick pit stop at the Arc de Triomphe which was fantastic! So much detail...it's difficult to describe something that I've only ever seen in pictures. Seeing it in person was so much better. We then walked to the Eiffel Tower. It sparkles on the hour for five minutes which is the best part of the night. Liz brought a bottle of wine for us to drink under the Eiffel Tower which, surprisingly enough, is not illegal in France (in England, drinking alcohol in public is illegal). It looks massive in pictures, but up close, it was monstrous! Amazing view...one of the top experiences while I was in Paris.

The next day, we went on a major site seeing spree. We all went to the Eiffel Tower in the morning to go to the top. After waiting in line for two hours, we made it! Absolutely gorgeous view...it doesn't feel as high as it looks from the top. The Eiffel Tower and an amazing ham and cheese crepe...great way to start the day! Once we were done there, we headed to Napoleon's Tomb. It was actually pretty interesting, but it wasn't all that exciting, so we didn't stay for long. At this point, Liz had to leave to go to class, so with a map in hand, Michelle and I set out in Paris on our own. We didn't get lost, and ran across some amazing sites! We walked through a few gardens on our way to the Louvre and watched people relaxing by the fountains. It was very sunny at this point, so it was a great day for a walk. Eventually, we came across a large building...after contemplating what it could be for a few minutes, I saw a glass pyramid. Obviously, the massive building had to be the Louvre!

We spent a few hours in the Louvre. I got us lost on multiple occasions in the Louvre! The place is absolutely massive. So, I can navigate the streets of Paris, but the Louvre? Well, that's a different story. We beelined it to the Mona Lisa which was a lot smaller than you would think...not all that impressive, but still great to see! All of the descriptions of the artwork were in French, so we wasted little time reading about anything. We rushed through the museum and probably saw an eighth of the entire thing. It really would take you days to explore thoroughly.

After a rushed trip to the Louvre, Michelle and I walked along The Seine for a bit and relaxed. Eventually, we made it to Notre Dame where we were going to meet Liz after her class. Once she arrived, we were going to climb the 390 steps to the top, but the stairs closed. So, we settled for just going into the building. What amazing architecture! The stain glass windows were breathtaking, and the vaults in the ceiling were beautiful. It was very crowded because there was going to be a service soon, unfortunately, we didn't stay. On our way back to the foyer, we stopped at a flower market...just explored a little bit. It was nice to just relax after running around all day. We went to the supermarket to pick up some provisions, and in line, some man started talking to me in French. I just smiled and looked like I had absolutely no idea what he was saying...which I didn't. We met up with other people from the program that night, and had a great time hanging out with all of them! It was so nice to feel like you knew people in Paris!

The next day, we got up early and took the train to Versailles. Wow! The chateaux was fabulous...the gates were gold, and the inside was so detailed. I can't image what it might have been like when kings and queens inhabited it. There were so many rooms, and I don't think they even show most of them to the public. The gardens were beautiful even in March. I wish I could see them in May when everything is in bloom! It was rainy and chilly, but it was still worth wandering around the garden. We didn't go to Marie Antoinette's chateaux about a mile away because the wind was killer, but Liz told me that it is beautiful as well. This experience is probably the top of my list of things I saw while in Paris.

When we got back to the foyer, we took a nap because we were all exhausted. Again, we went out with some of the people studying in Paris. We got back a bit earlier than the previous night, so we headed straight to bed because we had to get up early to fit in everything else we wanted to see. We woke up an hour later than we were supposed to, so we tried to go quickly. Our first stop was the Arc de Triomphe to see it in the daytime. We hopped the metro, and went to Notre Dame to see if we could go to the top. It hadn't opened yet, and there was a long line, so we explored the back of Notre Dame. From there, we went to the Pantheon. We couldn't go in because our UK student cards don't work in Paris, so we couldn't get in free with that or our visas. We just took pictures of it outside in the rain. It was Palm Sunday, so palm branches were everywhere, and getting into churches was difficult. But, the Pantheon was amazing, even if it was a brief visit.

We walked down the street to Luxembourg Gardens. Again, a beautiful place even in the rain and when nothing was blooming. I think Versailles was better, but Luxembourg was great as well. We wanted to eat in the park and explore some more, but the rain thwarted us again, so we were off to find some food. Eventually, we ended up in the Latin Quarter, and there was this amazing crepe place. I had a nutella and banana crepe...it was heaven! I love crepes! YUM!

By the time we were done eating, the rain had mostly stopped, so there was no need for umbrellas. We got back on the metro and headed to Moulin Rouge. This was a quick stop because it literally was a sign that read, "Moulin Rouge" and huge red windmill. That was it. Unimpressive, in my opinion, but it is Moulin Rouge. Now, the highlight of the day was the Sacre Coeur. A beautiful church on a large hill. We climbed to the top, and went inside for a bit. No pictures of the inside, but it rivaled many of the other churches I have seen while in Europe. The view from the top of the hill was spectacular. I had a great time taking pictures around the side streets and hills. It was a great way to end the day.

Liz took us back to the train station where we made our goodbyes. Liz might come to Valencia while I'm there during her spring break, but if she doesn't, that was the last time I get to see her for a while, so it was sad leaving.

But, I was very glad to be back in London. As much as I enjoyed Paris, I love London more! It feels so great to be in England...even if it is rainy! Well, this may be my last update for quite awhile. I'm leaving for Rome on Friday for a week for spring break. I won't have my computer, so unless anything exciting happens between now and Friday...that is all for now. Cheers!

Jumping for joy in Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment