Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Most Difficult Part

Even though I haven't actually started my trip, my preparations for London have technically been in the making for months. Now that I am down to 16 days, the stress of the situation is starting to take its toll. Who knew packing could be so stressfull...and I really haven't even began yet. So, here is my first dilemma: what do I pack and what do I leave behind? When visiting my aunt recently, she told me that if I have any doubts about a piece of clothing, then I should just leave it at home because I probably won't miss it. Good advice, Aunt Leigh! I am working on packing light...I'll let you know how it goes.

Even more difficult than packing is saying goodbye. I did get to visit a lot of my friends in my hometown over New Years. It was great getting to see everyone after a year and a half, but having to say goodbye for at least another four months was tough. All of my friends at school I can stay in contact more easily than others, but it doesn't make leaving school any less easy (not to mention volleyball...how can I live four months without it?!?). Hopefully, with the help of this blog and Skype, I can stay in contact with everyone more easily...when I'm not off running around Europe!

Even worse than saying goodbye to my friends is leaving my family. I go to school in the same town that my family lives in and my mom works on campus...I see them all the time. Four months will be the longest period of time that I have ever spent away from my parents and brothers. I know they are all excited for me to have an amazing time in Europe, but let's be serious, they are so going to miss me! :)

Although leaving is hard, I know that the experiences that I will gain while studying in London will be worth leaving home. Who knows, maybe I won't want to come back (kidding, mom)!

No comments:

Post a Comment