Wednesday, January 27, 2010

All Aboard the Hogwarts Express!

Hello Everyone! I am updating this rather quickly; I think I like typing for the blog rather than writing in my journal. Two days ago, the whole group went on a tour of London. We went to the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, and London Bridge. We saw so much that I can't even remember everything. We did see the area that the Great Fire of London started and learned how that began.

We walked around Leicester (pronounced Lester) Square and Trafalgar Square. It is really interesting to see all of the theatres around the area, considering many movies premiere in Leicester Square (I plan on going to the premiere of Valentine's Day and Alice in Wonderland...hopefully). I couldn't take pictures because my camera's batteries died, but I'm sure I will be around there again.

So, yesterday I had nothing to do but go to my advising session, so Michelle and I decided to try and find notebooks for our classes. Unfortunately, we didn't find any, but we did end up at Victoria Station, so we decided to hop on the tube to see where it would lead us.

Surprisingly, it is pretty easy to find your way around the underground. The directions are simple, and changing trains is not very complicated. We found ourselves at Trafalgar Square again...we walked around not really doing anything. When we wanted to leave, we couldn't find a tube entrance! We kept walking, and eventually we just went in a circle and entered the same tube entrance we came out of earlier.

When we got back on the tube, I noticed that I bit farther down the Piccadilly line was King's Cross. Of course, we had to go since this is where Harry Potter makes his way to the Hogwarts Express! We found Platform 9 3/4, but it must have not been working because the cart was stuck in the wall! I tried to push it through, but it didn't work. Oh well, guess I was never meant for Hogwarts.

I had my meeting with Mark and Beth and found out how to get to my internship. I have my interview today at 1600 at 4Children. I learned that a student who worked there last semester ended up doing a lot of writing for their online publications, so it will be a great experience. Mark said that it would probably take me about an hour the first time I try to get there, but I should be able to get it down to just over a half hour.

I do have to change lines to get there, and one is the DLR which at one point is above ground, so I have to go to street level to find it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly because I am going by myself. I am leaving really early, so I may be there an hour before my meeting, but I will just explore the area for a bit.

Okay, I'm off to my internship soon. I will post after the weekend because we are going to the Lion King tomorrow, a scavenger hunt around London on Friday, and a walk from St. Paul's to Borough Market on Saturday. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment