Sunday, June 27, 2010

Knight and Day

Your typical story. Boy bumps into girl. Girl likes boy. Boy likes girl. Boy is a CIA super-spy. Girl gets dragged into chaos. Boy tries to save the day. Girl actually saves the day (as it should be).

It's a fun, wildly ridiculous action movie. Like most action sequences today, it is basically impossible to perform any of those stunts in real life. But, it's great to pretend like someone could. The storyline is really stupid. Something about a perpetual energy battery, but I think that it's secondary to the stars' antics. Cruise and Diaz make a hilarious team, but in my opinion, Cruise carried the movie.

Tom Cruise has been on a roller coaster of a ride throughout his career. He's been the superstar, and then next thing you know, he's off the radar. This movie is an attempt by Cruise to reestablish his action-y hero self. With the idea of Mission: Impossible 4 in the works, he needs to be able to establish a large fan base once more. I have to say, he is pretty darn funny in the movie, not quite the action hero I normally expect, but fun nonetheless. I just have a difficult time believing Cruise in his role. That could just be me, but he was still funny and charming (coming from a girl that normally doesn't like Tom Cruise). On to the female lead. Cameron Diaz is one of my least favorite actresses, because well, she can't act. She's funny, but in more serious stuff, she just bugs me. I feel like she disappoints, again. Although, not to the degree I was expecting. She had her moments.

Recommendation: If you have a day to kill and a little extra cash, I would say go see it. It's fun, entertaining, and packed with action. Don't expect to see the best movie of all time, but do expect to be entertained. Have fun with it. "I shot the first pilot then he accidentally shot the second pilot. It's just one of those things."

Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment