Monday, February 15, 2010

Look, there's the Queen!

I'm avoiding my homework at all costs, so I figured I would give a brief update as to what happened over my weekend.

On Saturday, Michelle, Racheal, Jessica, Abbey, and I went on a tour to Windsor, Stonehenge, and Bath. We were on this big bus that drove us to all the sites which was fantastic. Our tour guide, Tony, was really great. He was super funny, and he remembered my name because he has been a fan of the Chelsea Football Club for 30-something years.

Our day began at Windsor, the Queen's favorite home which isn't that suprising considering she was there! No joke, the flag was flying at the top of the castle to signify that she was at Windsor. We saw her apartments from outside, and I swear she was sitting by her window! ;)

We were able to see a lot of the state apartments, but we were not allowed to take any pictures. Being able to see original paintings, suits of armor, weapons, and china was great! But, being the total history nerd that I am, I was really struck by the original portraits of King Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I, and Elizabeth I. I had seen all of these portraits before, and it really amazed me to be able to see them in person. I stood staring at them for a good five minutes.

I also went into St. George's Chapel in which many monarchs have been buried including Henry VIII and Jane Seymour...I stepped on his grave while walking through. Again, we couldn't take pictures. I wanted to and had my camera on in case one of the staff wasn't looking, but I was afraid I would get kicked out or something. We did get to take some pictures with the guards that don't smile. They really look like they are not having a good time at all...I feel a little bad for them, getting their pictures taken all the time. It was really funny to watch them march in their little area.

After leaving Windsor, we drove to Stonehenge. It was pretty cool, but I'm glad that we only spent 40 minutes there because really, it's just a bunch of rocks. Really great to see because it is just one of those things you have to see, but other than that it wasn't that exciting. It was fun taking goofy pictures...trying to hold it up, jumping, leaning on the rocks. After that fun wore off, we were ready to go to lunch.

We ate at this pub called Stonehenge Inn, and I had a chicken pot pie with peas, carrots, potatoes, a piece of chocolate cake, and as much tea as I wanted. Abbey and I split it because it was pretty big, but it was delicious food, and it was great to have hot food when we were in the cold all day. After that, we got back on the bus...then, I preceeded to get very carsick. It was horrible winding through all those roads on the bus. Thankfully, I didn't get sick. Once I was in the fresh air of Bath, it was much better.

We didn't have a lot of time in Bath, but it was well worth a visit. It was really neat seeing the Roman Baths. The foundations of the original baths were really great, and there was an audio tour for free, so that was a great supplement to the baths. We saw some of the architecture which was great and Bath Abbey. It was pretty on the outside...over 50 percent of the outside walls are glass windows!

Overall, the weekend was a lot of fun and well worth the money we spent considering the admission prices into all of the places was a bit expensive. Today, Michelle, Rachel, and I went to the Science Museum. All of the museums in London are free, and I'm glad it was because it was not that exciting. We were going to go to the Natural History Museum, but every child in London was standing in the queue because every school has a week off for midterm...we will go back when it isn't so snot infested.

Tomorrow I see the play Every Good Boy Deserves Favour...it sounds really good, and I'm really excited to see it. Well, probably won't update for awhile because I am not doing anything this week! Liz (my awesome roommate) is coming into town from Paris over the weekend, so I will be doing London stuff with her this weekend. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment