Monday, April 12, 2010

Rome Day 4: Vesuvius is Alive!

Well, day four while traveling was definitely the worst for me. The day started out with an early tour, and since we had woken up so early, nothing was open to get a pastry, and if it was, it was really expensive. So, I tried to get something out of a vending machine in the metro stop. The machines ate my money, and the pastry that I wanted got stuck in the machine...twice! Not a good start to the day.

We got on the bus for our trip to Naples and Pompeii. We stayed in Naples for a very short time. We got out of the bus for about 15 minutes to take some pictures. That was really disappointing because the tour said Naples, so you would think we would stick around for more than an hour on the bus. Of what I saw of Naples, it was very pretty. Some of the buildings are still dilapidated from bombings during WWII, but some of it was very decadent. The seaside was absolutely gorgeous though! The weather that day was fantastic. The sun was shining, and the water looked so blue. I wish we had spent more time exploring Naples, but we had to move onto Pompeii. Our guide talked a lot about the eruption of Vesuvius on the way to the site, and he kept saying that Vesuvius is "alive" instead of "active" which I found quite entertaining.

We went to lunch from there in New Pompeii...the city is right next to the ancient city, so to keep them separated, the city was named "New" Pompeii even though it has been around for a few hundred years. We ate lunch in a little restaurant that served us bread, spaghetti, potatoes, peas, pork, and cheesecake! They really liked to feed us well on the tours! They gave some of us seconds, and I was so full...I thought my day was looking up, but when I went to fill my water bottle, I soaked my camera in water. It wouldn't take any pictures at Pompeii! I was so angry the entire time that I didn't really get to enjoy Pompeii like I thought I would. On top of that, our guide talked too much, walked too slow, and stopped way too often. We didn't get to see a lot of the stuff that I really wanted to see while in Pompeii.

And, on top of all of that, it took us five hours to get back to Rome because of traffic. When we got back to the hostel, I wrapped my camera in socks (it was too late at night to get rice), and stuffed it in my boots, hoping some of the water would be soaked up. Oh, and my sunglasses broke. It was a long day to say the least. Even though I was angry, I still thought Pompeii was amazing. How could I not? I had been fascinated by the city for so long, and I was amazed! So much detail is left on the buildings. I wish I could have spent more time there or "lost" my tour guide; he was extremely frustrating. Italians are too slow for me (except in their driving). The language seems slow, they walk slowly, and take a lot of leisure time. Sometimes it's nice, but other times it's annoying...depends on my mood! :)

We got back really late because of all the traffic, and went straight to bed. It was an exhausting day, but after hitting a low point, it only got better from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment