Saturday, April 10, 2010

Rome Day 2: Viva Papa!

Since day two of Rome was on Easter Sunday, Happy Belated Easter everyone! And was mine the best Easter ever? I think so! We got up at 5:30AM to get ready for Easter Mass in Vatican City. We reached the square just before seven as the sun was rising. Compared to the rest of the line that formed, we were at the "front." We stood in line for over an hour being pushed and shoved by anxious people. The weather was chilly with a bitter wind, but we braved the cold to see the Pope!

When the time finally came to get into the historic St. Peter's Square, a stampede broke out to get through security. I told Jess and Abbey I was going to run ahead to get decent seats. As soon as I got through security, I made a break for it. I was sprinting down the aisles with a backpack trying to get an aisle seat. I got the first section of seats about 15-20 rows from the front of the stairs. I took out Abbey's bright yellow umbrella, stood on the seat, and waved it in the air so they could find me.

Mass didn't start until 10:15AM, but we had seat at about 8:20. About 15 minutes in, it started to rain...everyone's umbrellas popped up, and we realized that we wouldn't see anything if it continued to rain! It rained on and off for awhile, but once Pope Benedict finally came out, it didn't stop pouring rain the entire time! I did get to see him, but it was difficult to see him or the huge televisions because of umbrellas!

And, yes, I could have complained...I was cold, tired, and wet from the rain, but I was at Easter Mass with the Pope in the Vatican (notice me not complaining as I block the wind with my umbrella)! As a Catholic, it was so meaningful. Even though I understood only one reading in English, I felt so connected to my religion, more than I ever had before. I just sat and listened to the languages, and realized how many Catholics there are around the world. We were all united in that moment, and I felt like I was a part of something bigger than just myself.

Because we were in the first section, we were able to receive Communion, but most didn't considering there were tens of thousands of people in the square, most standing. This was the only time it stopped raining, I seriously think it was a sign from God, because if all of us had tried to take Communion with an umbrella in hand, it would have been a nightmare! As soon as Communion was finished, it started raining again. One of the best moments was when the Pope gave his "Urbi et Orbi" which means "to the city and to the world" in Latin. He moved to the central balcony in St. Peter's Basilica for the speech which summarizes humanity's failings and hopes for the future. I was unsure of what he said because he was not speaking in English, but it sounded hopeful!

Eventually, he started speaking in many different languages, I didn't understand what he was saying because I missed the English version, but every time a new language was spoken, that group of people who spoke it would yell. There had to have been at least 80 languages! People were chanting, "Viva Papa!" and "Benedictus!" as they waved their country's flag. It really was a moving moment for me.

Easter Mass has been the highlight of my journey in Europe, and I don't think anything will top it. It was worth every bone-chilling second, and I would do it again in a heartbeat in weather ten times as worse.

The chaos after mass was a bit ridiculous. It took us over an hour and a half to get back to the hostel when it should have taken less than a half hour. Eventually, because the metro station was so crowded, the police opened up the exits to allow people on the platform without even paying...that's how chaotic it was. At one point, the gate that the cop opened was right next to me, so I was pushed against the metal bar and couldn't move. It was very painful as it was digging into my stomach, and when I finally pushed myself out, I accidentally cut off another woman who then proceeded to yell at me in Italian. I apologized even though all I wanted to do was yell back at her in English! It was very frustrating that people could be so inconsiderate towards others. And on Easter Sunday after mass!

We got back to the hostel, took showers, warmed up, and took naps until about six. We got up to go get something to eat, but basically all of Rome is Catholic so nothing was open. We went to the Trevi Fountain since it was kind of close and very touristy which meant restaurants would be open. We got to see the fountain at night, and had pizza and gelato. My pizza had massive chunks of mozzarella, whole tomatoes, and basil! It was very Italian, and I enjoyed it immensely! I had Nutella gelato (the three things I lived on while in Italy: Nutella, Coca-Cola, and Pringles...no joke). It was an amazing, yet tiring day!

I don't have many good pictures from mass (I have a few horrible videos that wouldn't upload), except for a lovely blurry picture of the Pope from far away! Enjoy!

Oh, you can't tell that's the Pope?!? Well, let me reassure you (as I was there), it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment